J.G. Robinson new series of Atlantic type locomotives: twelve already delivered by North British Locomotive Co. and twelve under construction at Gorton. These locomotives were practically identical with the the first GCR Atlantic No. 192 illustrated and described on 12 December 1903 except for a slight increase in firebox heating surface, higher boiler pressure and larger tenders. But two of the Gorton-built locomotives were three-cylinder compounds, with one high-pressure cylinder below the smokebox of 19-in. diameter and 26-in. stroke, driving the leading pair of coupled wheels, and two low-pressure cylinders outside the frames, 21-in. diameter by 26-in. stroke, driving the trailing pair of coupled wheels: otherwise, these engines were identical with the 22 simple engines. Robinson intended exhaustive tests on similar traffic and if the compounds had the advantage then it would be easy to convert the simples to compounds.
The only important differences between these and the earliest type of Atlantic were an increase in total heating surface to 1931 ft2 and boiler pressure to 200 psi.
Steam locomotives Nos. 10, 11, 12, 13, 15 and 66 had been sold to the Cambrian Rys. No. 14 had been fitted with a cab, had its condensing apparatus removed and sold to the South Hetton Coal Co., near Seaham, County Durham. One of the trains of bogie coaches built for the Aylesbury service has been equipped for electric working. The guards compartments were fitted with the driving appliances for multiple unit working and two large plate glass wihdows provided suitable look-outs at the ends. The passenger compartments and side doors remained unaltered; but second class was now labelled third, A new style of painting had been adopted. Two of the electric locomotives built for the Central London Ry. by the General Electric Co. of America, and removed from service on the lntroduction of the multiple unit motor-driven trains were being used. for experimental purposes by the Metropolitan Ry. at Neasden.
New Consolidation locomotives Nos. 2814-2818 completed.
During 1905 Stratford Works completed 1150 c1ass 0-6-0s Nos. 1210-1219. These mineral engines had Belpaire fireboxes, flat-topped domes and sandboxes for the middle pair of wheels, placed on top of the framing, the sand being applied by apparatusdescribed on page 8. Twenty 2-4-2T passenger tank engines similar to No. 781,illustrated on page 7 of Volume 11completed: lastten fitted.withcondensing apparatus.
A new type of express locomotive, having six-couphed wheels and a leading bogie, is now being built at Inchicore, Nos. 362-365 being already completed.
The latest locomotives of the new Precursor type: Nos. 811Express, 117Alaska, 127Snake, 229Stork, 1301Candidate, 1363Cornwall, 1396Harpy: 1439Tiger, 2007Oregon, 2012Penguinand 2115Servia. There were eighty in service. The Teutonic class was being withdrawn as were the earlier three-cylinder compounds. Two further Ramsbottom 7ft 6in singles, Nos. 127Peeland 229Watthad been withdrawn from service, and replaced. No. 3020 Cornwall had been withdrawn, but it was hoped that this historic veteran would not be consigned to the scrap heap.
Five further bogie passenger tank.locomotiveswere running: Nos. 259, 261, 264, 269 and 500.
Firm was full of work, having the following orders on hand: six 4-6-0 freight locomotives with 19in. by 26in.cylinders, 5ft. 8in. coupled wheels, and.a boiler 5ft. 6in. in diameter carrrying a. working pressure of 200 psi for the Argentine Great Western Ry.; two side tank 2-6-0 outside cylinder engines and six 2-6-0 tender engines for mixed traffic on the Central Uruguay Ry.; 30 4-6-0 compound freight engines for the Buenos Ayres Great Southern Ry.; ten 4-6-0 Fish engines with large boilers, and ten 4-6-0 goods engines of a new type for the Great Central Ry., two 4-4-0 express passenger engines for the Great Northern of Ireland Ry.; one 4-6-0 tank engine for the Cork, Bandon & South Coast Ry.; and a motor coach for the North Staffordshire Ry. The firm had recently delivered to the Dutch State Railways ten 4-4-0 express engines similar to those illustrated in Issue for Sept. 1900, but with 19in cylinders and certain modifications in detail.
See page 206 of Volume 11 for illustration.of one of a series of steam rail motor coaches for service on.branch lines., The leading dimensions: length over buffers 66ft. 5in., height from rail level to chimney top 12ft 6in, extreme width over stepboards 8ft 10in, diameter of cylinders 10in; diameter of wheels 3ft 7in, total heatihg surface 505.64ft2, working pressure 200 psi, total weight 40 tons 2 cwt., seating accommodation for 57 passengers.
Carlton Hurry Riches appointed locomotive superintendent of the Rhymney Ry. in succession to Jenkins from 1 January 1906. Surrey Warner of the GWR carriage department succeeded W. Panter as carriage and wagon superintendent LSWR. On the LBSCR George Gillies, chief locomotive draughtsman retired at the end of 1905 and was replaced by D.J. Spidy his former chief assistant. Following the death of Yerkes, Edgar Speyer of Speyer Brothers had been appointed; chairman of the Underground ElectricRailways Co. of London Ltd., Sir George Gibb, the general manager of the North Eastern Ry. had resigned that position, and accepted the chairmanship and general management of the Metropolitan District Ry., and the position of deputy chairman of the Underground Electric Rys.
Death of George H. Wall, a member ot the firm of Dewrance & Co., and inventor of the well-known water-gauge-glass protector..
New three-cylinder compound express engines, Midland Railway.3. illus.
Nos. 1000-1009 (No. 1000 illustrated): Deeley version with higher (220 psi) boiler pressure. Followed American style with number on tender.
Steam locomotives of the Metropolitan Dictrict Railway.3-4. illus.
Continued from Volume 11 page 206.Thomas S. Speck was locomotive superintendent from July 1871 to December 1879. Hon. S.A. Cecil followed until December 1884 when G. Estall took over. Fitted Adams type bogies on new 4-4-0Ts Nos. 49 to 54 and subsequently replaced Bissel trucks on earlier engines. All were fitted with new boilers, cylinderds and cast iron chimneys. Leading dimensions: 17 x 24in cylinders actuated via D-shape slide valves and Allan straight link motion; total heating surface 903ft2, grate area 16ft2, working pressure 130 psi. Boiler fed by two gun-metal pumps worked by eccentrics off driving axle.Original livery (first 30 locomotives) bright green, but latterly olive green without lining (formerly black and red lining).Former locomotive fascilities being converted to service electric stock.See also letter from Frank S. Hennell on page 52..
Atlantic passenger locomotive, L. B. & S. C. Ry.5.illus., diagr.(s. el.)
Class B5 Nos. 37-41 (No. 37 illustrated) built by Kitson & Co. to the requirements of D.E. Marsh. Text notes the strong resemblance to the GNR Ivatt design of large Atlantics. The Brighton machines had a higher boiler pressure (200 psi) and larger cylinders: 18 x 26 in.See also next Issue page 17..
[Dean/Churchward either-side wagon brakes].5.
Richard Bell had sent a copy of the report made by the Amalgamated Society of Railway Servants on trials of the brake which were conducted near Dowlais on Sunday 5 November 1905: the tests were satisfactory.
Recent locomotives of the Belgian State Railways.6-7. 2 diagrs.(s. el.)
4-4-0 and 0-6-0 designs types 18 and 32 based on McIntosh Caledonian Railway types, but with a different type of slide valves and Wilson-Klotz safety valves.
Steam sanding gear, Great Eastern Railway.8-9. 2 diagrs.
Linkage of sanding gear controls to reverser position (for forward or backward) sanding ejectors and to the regulator handle enabling the driver either to apply sand for a short period or continuously.
The Kalka-Simla Ry., India.9-11. 4 illus.
Ascended into the foothills of the Himalayas rising to over 7000 feet via viaducts and tunnels. Narrow gauge: 2ft 6in. 24 tank locomotives, 74 paswsenger cars,75freight vehicles.59 miles long.
Central South African Rys.10-11; 13.4 illus., table.
Notes very large dimensions of 11th class with its 37ft2grate area and total weight of over 78 tons.
The locomotives of the North Eastern Ry. J.S. Maclean.Newcastle-upon-Tyne: R. Robinson.
Complains about lack of any mention of Blyth & Tyne Railway and minimal reference to Newcastle & Carlisle Railway and its locomotives.
The Royal Visit to India.14. 2 illus.
Bombay, Baroda & Central India Railway preparations for running the Royal Train carrying the Prince of Wales.fromBombay to Baroda and return. Standard inside cylinder 4-4-0s built by Beyer Peacock were used (see11, page 61). W.P.Johnson, locomotive superintendent rode on the train engine and C.G. Cotesworth, district locomotive superintendent, rode on the leading engine (one photograph taken by him looks back along train).
New carriage stock, E.C.J.S.15.illus.
NER contribution from York carriage works: sleeping car with six berths, wider than usual (one compartment fitted in a bed); hot & cold water; electric fans; Pullman gangways; rubber insulation.
An object lesson on the Belgian State RysF. Gaiser.
See Volume 11 page 214:Le BelgeandLElephant. La Belgenot built by R. Stephenson, but by John Cockerill of Seraing and was the first locomotive to be built in Continental Europe. It had 11 x 18in cylinders, enlarged to 12in diameter in 1844 and to 15in in 1858. It had 5ft driving wheels. It was scrapped in 1869.LElephantwas built at Vulcan Foundry and was put in service on 1 May 1835. It had 14 x 18in cylinders, 4ft 6in coupled wheels and was scrapped in February 1844, but parts were incorporated into a new locomotive in 1850. The two modern locomotives were Cockerill Nos. 1672 of 1902 and 3201 of 1903..
Steam locomotives of the M.D. Ry.Frank S. Hennell.
See page 205 of previous Volume: corrections: District trains ran to LBSCR station at New Cross, not SECR station. Only engines Nos. 1 to 24 fitted with Bissel truck; all oters fitted Adams bogie. Nos 25 to 30, built in 1876 under Thomas Speck had fireboxes 1 ft shorter and tanks 1in wider and longer bearing springs under the coupled wheels. When new had cabs over the whole length of the footplate, but this made working conditions worse and they were removed. Later engines had the top of the weather plate turned backwards for about 16in. and a vertical plate above the bunker.
Reunion Dinner of Locomotive Department,G.E.R. 16.illus.
Held in the Abercorn Rooms within the Liverpool Street Station Hotel on 8 December 1911. Photograph shows the 49 present with a key to identify those present with James Holden: W.E. Dalby, A.J. Hill, G. Elliot, W. Collingwood, George Winmill, J.H.B. Jemkins, E. Winmill, J. Pollock, J. Wild, J. Cookson, J. Abbott, A.P.Turner, C.W.L. Glaze, A.W. Polley, H. Rudland, J.C. Mannooch, C.A. Robinson, J. Wilson, A. Lansdell, F. Duce, R.L. Soper, J.B. Corrie, T.W. Ford, E.F. Elliot, T.O. Mein, W. Pickersgill, R.H. Haylock, M.A. Selaverani, W.F. Pettigrew, D. Gillies, F.W. Dodd, C. Watchhurst, C. Adams, A.C. Kelly, L. Simpson, F.V. Russell, J.H. Adams, J.H. Bowles, L. Meyrick-Jones, H.W.C. Drury, H. Haylock, A.G. Herbert, Henry Parker, A.P. Parker, W.D. Craig, J.W. Howard, G. Macallan, G.B. Lawrence.
South Eastern & Chatham Ry. 17.illus.
4-4-0 No. 273 illustrated.Built at Ashford Works to design of Harry S. Wainwright, Locomotive Superintendent.6ft 6in coupled wheels; 19 x 26in cylinders; Belpaire boiler with 1532ft2total heating surface; 21.15ft2gratearea; and 180 psi working pressure. Stones patent economiser and spark arrester fitted. Six further steam rail motor coaches (railcars) being built by Kitson & Co., similar to No. 1 illustrated11, page 46.
Six new bogie locomotives, similar to No. 141 (illustrated 15 July 1904): Nos. 146-151.
New Precursor 4-4-0s: 2576Arab; 2577Etna; 2578Fame; 2579Ganymede; 2580Problem; and 2581Peel. In January Issue noted that No. 3020Cornwallhad been withdrawn from service. Shortly before being condemned the locomotive worked into Euston with a relief train. One of Webbs Precedentclassbeing rebuilt with a leading bogie.
See Atlantic type illustrated in January Issue on page 5:locomotives fitted withquick actingWestinghouse brake and wasfitted to bogie wheels. Bearing springs of bogie fitted with McCord Spring Dampener (see 16 October 1905). No. 37 in service painted in standard brown colour. Practice of naming locomotives to cease.
The new main line from Neasden to South Harrow stations scheduled to open for passenger traffic with a half-houdy steam rail motor service beginning on 1 March 1906. The Metropolitan Ry. station atNeasden,and intermediate stations at Wembley and Harrow Road, Sudbury would be used. The opening of this line would also inaugurate the commencement of the joint G.C and Metropolitan workings of the latter companys line from Harrow to Aylesbury. 15 more engines were to be stationed at the GC.shedsat Neasden in consequence.
The output from Nine Elms of.new locomotive stock during the 1ast six months of 1905 comprised five large four-cylinder six-coupled bogie express locomotives illustrated in our October and December issues, five newbogie.passengertank engines, and four new steam rail motor coaches. One of the new steam motor cbaches is here illustrated, and it will be noticed that the design is modified from those previously adopted. The leading dimensions were: cylinders 10in. by 14in., boiler pressure 175 psi; heating surface: firebox 76ft2., water tubes 119ft2, flue tubes 152ft2, total 347ft2; grate area 6.75ft2; water capacity 485 gallons and bunker 1 ton, weight of coach complete 32 tons 6 cwt.; seating 1st class 8 and 2nd class 32 passengers, total 40.
Orders placed with the North British Locomotive Co., Ltd., for ten goods locomotives, and a similar number were under construction at the Cow1airs shops, in addition to 12 engines of new design.forintermediate passenger and express goods traffic. The goods locomotives would be the usual six-coupled type, with. cylinders 18*189;in by 26in, coupled wheels 5ft, heating surface 1794ft2, grate area 19.25 ft2, and working pressure l80 psi. The mixed traffic engines would have four-coupled wheels 6ft. diameter, and a total heating surface of 1760ft2. New tenders were being built, to hold 3500 gallons of water and 5 tons coal. We understand that tenders are being called for fourteen express passenger 1ocomotives for the East Coast and Waverley route express serviees between Aberdeen and Berwick and. Carlis1e respectively.
E. Talbot, district locomotive superintendent, Normanton, appointed to succeed R. Weatherburn, district superintendent for London, who retired after more than thirty years service. W.L. Mugliston, of Lancaster, succeeded Talbot at Normanton.
Two new consolidation mineral locomotives 2-8-0s Nos. 2819 and 2820 which completed series of twenty apart from No. 97, the original of class.On the 11 February an interesting run was made with No. 2806:startingfrom Severn Tunnel Junction with a load of 54 coal wagons and a dynamometer car, a further 11 wagons were added at Stoke Gifford. At Swindon Transfer the train was made upto 100 loaded wagons, with the dynamometer car next to the tender, and this huge load was hauled to Southall, where some portion was left behind, and the remainder taken to Paddington Goods yard. .The timing.ofthis train, ordinari1y the 07.40 from Severn Tunnel Jn., was accelerated throughout, and every care was taken to secure an unchecked run between booked stopping-places.
The Bradford Corporation Nidderdale Light Ry.19-20. illus.
Initial Light Railway Order envisaged a 2ft 6in line from Pateley Bridge to Lofthouse, but on 1 March 1904 transferred powers to standard gauge line to assist with construction of dam at Angram reservoir scheduled for completion in June/July. There were two ex-Metropolitan Railway Beyer Peacock 4-4-0Ts former No. 20 becoming No. 1Holdsworthand another No. 2Milner. Cabs had been added as had the Bradford coat of arms, but the original red livery remained.
Ten-wheeled goods locomotive, Great Southern & Western Railway.
Coey 4-6-0 with 19 x 26in cylinders, 5ft 1in coupled wheels, 1599.75ft2total heating surface and 24.3ft2grate area. No. 365 illustrated.
The locomotives of the Great Eastern Railway21-2. 5 illus. (drawings)
Ten single-driver tank engines were put in hand at the Stratford Works in the year 1854 for working what was then known as the Tilbury Fort line, which was opened in that year, and the working of which by the Eastern Counties Ry. had been arranged for by the lessees, Messrs. Peto, Betts & Brassey. These engines were similar in general design to the tank locomotives previously designed by Gooch, but with larger dimensions: numbered 250 to 259, and illustrated as originally built in Fig. 88. Cylinders 14 x 22in. Driving wheels 6ft. 6in. The boiler barrel was lap jointed, Grate area 11.1 ft2. Total heating surface 859.2 ft2. Working pressure 120 psi. During Sinclairs time domes added overfirebox,and Johnson fitted engines with injectors and his standard pattern of chimney, number plate, etc.As thus altered shown in Fig. 89.In 1877 Nos. 255, 258, and 259 were renumbered 2550, 2580 and 2590, and in 1879 Nos. 250, 252 and 253 had a cipher prefixed to their numbers. None of this classwererebuilt, and the following gives the dates turned out new and withdrawn from service:-
Five large Crampton singles, Nos. 108 to 112 (Fig. 57) having proved unsatisfactory due to lack of adhesive weight, Gooch designed a class of six-coupled goods engines to take the boilers of the single-wheelers, these being almost as good as new owing to the engines had done little work. The new goods engines were built at Stratford works and had outside bearings; they were commonly known as the Floating Batteries. Fig. 90 illustrates one of thisclass, which were numbered 233 to 237. The wheels were 5ft. The cylinders were 15in. x 24in. The tender was on four wheels and had a wheelbase of 10ft. 2in. Sinclair designed new boilers for Nos. 234 and 236, which were constructed by Neilson & Co. with grate area 14 ft2.and total heating surface 1008.04 ft2. Fig. 91 illustrates these engines as rebuilt. The remaining three engines were rebuilt by Johnson with boilers of the following dimensions: grate area 15.5 ft2and total heating surface 931.15 ft2; working pressure 140 psi. Johnson also increased the cylinder diameter in these engines to 16-in., and fitted his standard cab, number plate and chimney. As thus altered, the weight of these engines was increased to 27 tons 7 cwt. 3qrs.,Fig. 92 shows No. 235 as rebuilt by Johnson. In 1880 these engines were put in the duplicate list, a cipher being added to their numbers.
On 9 October 1858,at 23.40 engine No. 233,driver Henry Ward, when working a special goods train from Newmarket, collided with a special horsebox train consisting of 21 vehicles which was standing at Six Mile Bottom, the guard of the horsebox train, Chas. Titchmarsh, being killed. Ward was arrested and committed to the Assizes, but was eventually acquitted.
American locomotive boilers.22-4. 5 diagrs.
Continued from11page198.Figs. 4-8.Considered deep and shallow fireboxes.ofthe Wootten type which provided a large grate. The nature of the coal dictated dimensions.Combustion chambers.Belpaire fireboxes.Staying.75ft2grate areas.
Express passenger locomotive, North Staffordshire Ry. 25. illus.
John H. Adams design of 2-4-0. 6ft 6in coupled wheels; 18 in (formerly 17in) x 24in cylinders.160 psi boiler pressure.
Express engine, Stockton and Darlington Railway.26-7. diagrs./plan (cross section and longitudinal section)
William Bouch 4-4-0 No. 238 of December 1871. Boiler made from Low Moor iron with a total heating surface of 1217ft2. Cylinders 17in x 30 in with 13in diameter piston valves made from solid brass, but there were problems with lubrication (black lead was used as a lubricant.Known as Ginxs Baby.Fletcher converted them to 2-4-0 with smaller (17in x 26in) cylinders similar to the Game Cock Class.See illus on page 148 (28 February 1903).Makes a substatial quotation from Edward Jenkins pamphlet which included the memorable lines: Philopsophers, Philanthropists, Politicians, Papists and Protestants, Poor Law Miinisters and Parish Officers (which Nock was to quote).
New locomotives, Alsace-Lorraine State Rys.28-9. 2 illus., 2 diagrs.
SACM (Socit Asacienne de Construction Mecaniques): 4-6-4T Amanda and 2-10-0 Rolandseck. Both were de Glehn four-cylinder compounds. The 4-6-4T had 1650mm coupled wheels and 340 x 640mm high pressure and 330 x 640mm low pressure cylinders and the 2-10-0 had 390 x 650mm high and 600 x 650mm low pressure cylinders and 1330mm coupled wheels.
Official Guide to the Great Western Railway.Cassell.29.
Included maps of towns and places of interest served by the railway.
Complained about loss of smart appearance, leaking joints and valves, knocks and thumps, and higher fuel consumption.
Vacuum Brake Co. automatic vacuum brake apparatus.
The autobiography of Samuel Smiles. John Murray.
It is noted that he worked as an assistant secretary for the Leeds & Thirsk Railway, becoming its Secretary before its incorporation into the NER, then in the Company Secretarys office of the North Eastern Railway in Newcastle where he gathered much of his information for the life of Stepenson and as Secretary of the South Eastern Railway for twelve years.
Engineering mathematics simply explained.H.H. Harrison.Percival Marshall.
Steel passenger cars, Great Northern & City Ry. 32-3. 2 illus.
Eighteen all-steel fireproof cars supplied by Brush Electrical Engineering with girder underframes seating 64 passengers. Exterior painted in teak colour.
New Pullman cars, London, Brighton & South Coast Ry. 33.diagr. (s. el.), plan
63ft 8in long, running on six-wheeel bogies and seating 32 passengers.Interior with green plush seating (green leather in the smoking accommodation) with greeen carpets with white ceilings lined with gold.Exterior umber lower panels and ivory upper.Thomas Powell was the Secretary and Manager of the Pullman Co. Cars namedDuchess of Norfolk,Princess EnaandPrincess Patricia.
Steel double hopper wagon.34. illus.
Supplied by Brush Electrical to Birmingham Corporation Gas Department to the design of Hack Engineer-in-Chief of the Gas Department and according to patents of Sheffield & Twinberrow Steel Car Co. 20 ton capacity; 20ft over headstocks. Pearts either-side compensated brake..
Admiralty Contracts for asbestos goods. 34.
Royal Navy supplied by United Asbestos Co.
Latest Precursor class: Nos. 2582Rowland Hill, 2583Teutonic, 2584Velocipedeand 2585Watt. Four new Experiment class: Nos. 565City of Carlisle,893City of Chester,1074City of Dublinand 1357City of Edinburgh.
New 3111 class 2-6-2Ts: Nos. 3131-38. No. 3138 had number on bunker and Great Western on tanks similar to style adopted for tenders. Nos. 2603, 2605 and 2607 of 2601 class rebuilt similar to 2621 with tapered boilers. Nos. 3298-9, 3302, 3305 and 3307 of the Badminton classrebuilt withlarge domeless tapered boilers and Belpaire fireboxes. Refers to Churchward IMechE on large boilers and scrapping of last two broad gauge engines includingNorth Star…
4-4-0 (coupled bogie engines) Nos. 2185, 2196 and 2202 rebuilt with larger boilers, and new cabs right over the footplate.Brass beading removed from splashers and black metal substituted. Brass numerals removed and white metal put in front of smokebox. Smokebox door flat instead of being dished and handrail ran straight across it. No. 163, a 6ft 6in coupled, bogie engine similarly rebuilt. Nos. 172 and 175, 7ft. 6in. singles, had been altered externally to suit new ideas, but retain the old boilers. Some half dozen of the old double-framed goods engines had recently received new boilers of the large new standard type, together with new cabs and side sheets. Nos. 380, 547 and 550 thus rebuilt.
Steam rail motor coach, Cape Government Railways.35. illus.
Commencing 1 March 1906 passenger traffic on the Neasden-Northolt new line had been worked by steam rail motor No.3. Starting from Marylebone terminus (not Neasden as was first arranged) the first stopping station was Wembley(6 miles); then followed Sudbury and Harrow Road and South Harrow. The time occupied on the journey was 25 minutes. The G.C. local service from Marylebone to Metropolitan Ry. stations from Harrow on to Aylesbury, etc., was also inaugurated on the same date. Smart new trains, each made up of four bogie coaches with electric light and steam heat, and Robinsons ten-wheel tank engines (4-4-2T), employed on this duty,
A new rail motor coach, No.3, delivered: the engine built by Kitson & Co., Ltd, (makers No. 4376) and the car by the Oldbury Carriage & Wagon Co., Ltd. As a result of the successful services on the Sheppey branch, motor coaches to be used on the fol1owing sections: EImers End to Hayes, Dunton Green to Westerham,Otfordto Sevenoaks, Gravesend to Port Victoria, and on the branch from Appledore to New Romney via Brookland, Lydd and Dungeness.
Nos.50-60, standard trailing bogie tank locomotives nearly all into service.Nos. 5-10, steam rail motor coaches,wererapidly approaching completion.
New line of the London Underground Electric Rys.Co, opened on 10 Marchbetween Kennington.and Baker Street, with a service at five minutes intervals during the day, reduced to three minutes during busy hours. The cars were steel built, 50ft. long, 8ft. 8in. wide and 9ft. 5in. high, and the six coaches composing a train seated 300 passengers. The distance of 3 miles covered in 13 minutes northbound, and 12 minutes in the reverse direction, gradients favouring the latter. Intermediate stations are at Regents Park, Oxford Circus, Piccadilly Circus, Trafalgar Square, Embankment and Waterloo. Extensions to Paddington and the Elephant and Castle were in progress.
Midland & Great Northern Joint Ry.36
Midland Ry. locomotive No. 144,and several others of the same class.wereworking on this line, having been loaned to the Joint Committee to replace some of the earlier bogie tanks.
The Campbeltown & Machrihanish Ry.36.
Company ordered, from Andrew Barclay, Sons & Co., Ltd., Caledonia Works, Kilmarnock, a locootive for their new narrow-gauge railway from Campbeltown to Machrihanish. The locomotive had six wheels coupled, with two wheeled bogie, and was fitted with Walschaerts valve gear. The railway intended partly for minerals and partly to carry passengers across the Mull of Kintyre to Machrihanish and back to Campbeltown, in connection with the turbine steamers.
The illustrationshows one of two steam rail motor rcoaches designed by H.A. Ivatt and constructed at the Doncaster works of this company. The car body was 49 feet long, and had seating for 53 passengers; it was carried on a standard carriage bogie at one end, and on four-coupled wheels of 3ft. 8in diameter under the engine. Other leading dimensions were: cylinders, 10in. by 16in diameter, total heating surface 382ft2.,grate area 9.5 ft2., boiler pressure 175 psi.Built to work local services, such as Finchley to Edgware, Hatfield to Hertford, Hatfield to St; Albans and Hitchin to Baldock, etc.Nos. 1271-1280, six-coupled saddle tanks, and Nos. 127-136, eight-coupled side tanks of No. 116 class had been put into service; Nos. 132-136 are stationed at Colwick to work coal trains over the Nottinghamshire branch lines.
Steam heat trials, North Eastern & Great Northern Ry.36.??
Comparison of NER locomotive No. 2024 hauling ten bogie carriages using low pressure steam (which took hour to heat the train) with GNR train of fifteen six-wheel carriages employing a storage system which took 1 hours to heat the train.
The electrification of the Simplon Tunnel Ry. 37.illus.
Two three-phase 900-1000 hp locomotives diverted from Italian State Railways to provide traction through 20km tunnel. The hydraulic plants at each end to supply power for construction works were modified to generate electricity. The locomotives were of 1-C-1 type with connecting rod drive and could operate at 34 km/h or 68 km/h.
Compound tank locomotive, Metropolitan Ry., Paris.38. illus.
Four-cylinder 4-8-0T built Socit Alsacienne de Constructions Mecaniques for the Centure Railway with two 14 diameter high pressure; and two 22 diameter low pressure cylinders with a common stroke of 25 in. Serve tubes.Total heating surface 2188.9 ft2.Grate area 23.75ft2
Scheduled meeting on 10 April 1906: R.L. Robinson paper on automatic signalling.
Four wheels coupled tank locomotive No. 457, G.W.R. 38.illus
2-4-0T with condensing apparatus c1875 near Earls Couirt Road standing on flat-bottomed Vignolles rails.
Tank engines, North British Railway.39. illus.
0-6-0T designed by Dugald Drummond and introduced from 1875. Similar to Stroudley Terriers: 4ft 6in coupled wheels, 15 x 22in cylinders, 14ft2grate area, total heating surface 701 ft2, boiler pressure 140 psi.
The history of the London & South Western locomotives..
Continued from previous Volume pp. 118-19.
Globe Pneumatic Engineering Company. 43
Order for pneumatic tools received from East India Railway locomotive workshops
Author of works on locomotives, railways and hydrasulics.Apprenticed at Kitsons, joined Midland Rail